Saturday 17 April 2010

Money Magnet

I don't know why it keeps happening to me but it does. I keep finding money by accident in various locations and I have to say I don't really know what to do with it. I know most people would just take the money and be done with it but for some reason I always seem to have a problem with taking money which I feel was someone else’s. It's the kind of thing annoying people write in to news papers about as big ethical issues when there are far more horrendous issues to be worrying about in the world. I therefore usually like to try and make it someone else’s problem so I don't have to worry about it. About 6 months ago I found £10 lying on the ground, I didn't know what to do with it and so I left it in my wallet until it got drunkenly spent. The biggest find came next when I found £50 in an abandoned cash machine, I had AS with me at the time so I pointed it out to her and with that my moral dilemma disappeared. Then today I found £5 lying on the ground in the park so I went and bought books from a charity shop with it. I'm annoyed at myself for thinking about it. Look at this for some interesting comments; http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2009/feb/27/found-money-dilemma.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... The way I see it money never truly belongs to you. Or anyone else. It is in constant motion in flux, through hands, pockets, wallets, bank accounts, dispensers. There is nothing permament or personal about a note. How long do you keep it with you before letting it go?
    It's a symbol. A physical representation of purchasing power.

    The way I see it - it's just karma whether you happen to have more or less at any given time. Effort factors into it, but who "deserves" how much money for what is probably the most relative measure in the world.

    So if you lose money - let it go. You can always make more.

    If you find it, use it.

    We

    ReplyDelete